Options for Managing Your CC Patient Between Visits
Writing a result note:
- EPIC --> InBasket --> Results --> find your patient's result --> click "Rslt Note" (find this at the top of the results "Quick Actions" bar) --> document a note including assessment and plan based on all the labs that have resulted for your patient --> route to Head TS, your TS mentor, Chief TS, and Dr. Meah / David Skovran.
- Results notes should be written by Sunday at noon; the Head TS and Dr. Meah/David Skovran will then respond with suggestions based on your assessment and plan
- Call your patient to discuss the results and management plan following Head TS / attending review of your plan
- For abnormal results that are critical (i.e. high K, glucose>300 w/ gap, Hb<8 and pt symptomatic) — email Chief TS, TS mentor, David Skovran, and Dr Meah with the subject line URGENT OR call one of them!
- Contact CMs if pt needs to be brought back to clinic for an addl Labs Only or Clinic visit AND include an Addendum to TS Note in EPIC (see instructions below
Finding Disappearing Lab Results: If you are unable to see lab results in your Epic In Basket under the Results tab it is likely that the result was already "Done"d by someone else in the pool. You still need to review and write result notes on these results. To find the missing results:
- Open your Epic In Basket and go to the Results tab
- Click Search on the bar directly above the display window
- When the search window opens all options should be checked. Under Message Types, uncheck all options except Results. Leave all other boxes checked under the other headings.
- Under Date Message Received change the date range to (the Saturday of clinic - the current date).
- Click Search
- You should now see the results of all labs that were completed on clinic day
- You may document result notes on these by clicking Rslt Note on the bar above the display window
- Block your number with *67 if calling from your own phone OR If you want to go through the "EHHOP Phone," dial the EHHOP Number (see "Contact" section of EHHapp), press * and type in 12345678. You will then be prompted to enter the patient's ten digit telephone number.
- Do not give your personal phone number to patients
- Have your patient call back at the main EHHOP line and ask them to include your NAME in the voicemail message
- TSs will forward you voicemails from your patients. Please reply to the email once you have contacted your patient. If you will not be able to call your patient back in a timely manner, please email the TS ASAP so that they can call the patient directly
- Always document a Telephone Encounter in EPIC
- Go to Epic drop down tab on the upper left hand corner of the screen
- Select “Patient Care” → Telephone Encounter
- Complete the following fields: the name of the person with whom you spoke/left a message, reason for call, a brief note
- You must route the encounter to Dr. Meah, David Skovran, Chief TS, and TS mentor
Quick Visits (QVs) and NP (Nurse Practitioner Student) visits:
- You may schedule your patient for a quick visit with the TS. Quick visits are approximately 10-15 minute visits. These are appropriate for urgent care, BP checks, glucometer checks, pill pours, medication titration, etc.
- You may schedule your patient for an NP visit. NP visits are 30-45 minutes long. These are appropriate for more intensivee insulin titration, diabetes education, and medication adherence
- Consult your TS mentor to check if one of these visits is appropriate
- Contact the Chief CM and the Chief TS directly if you'd like to schedule this appointment
Labs Only visits:
- You may schedule your patient for a labs only visit and follow up the results over the phone.
- Contact the Chief CM directly if you'd like to schedule this appointment