If a Patient’s Name is misspelled in Epic and Cerner…
First, talk to the patient in clinic if possible and verify the correct spelling with an official ID (driver’s license, etc). Scan a copy of their identification. This will obviously not be possible for all patients.
YOU CAN CHANGE THE PATIENT’S NAME IN CERNER ONLY IF IT’S BEEN 7 DAYS OR LESS SINCE THE PATIENT’S LAST APPOINTMENT; OTHERWISE YOU MUST CALL CERNER. So if you know about a misspelling, take care of it ASAP
- In Cerner, click on the blue eye (appointment inquiry).
- Search for the patient under the “person” tab.
- Select the most recent appointment (don’t double click it) and in the same (Schedule Inquiry) window, click on the white face button (Person Management).
- In the window that pops up (“Encounter search”), click on the “Modify” button in the bottom right.
- You should now be able to change the person’s name. Fill in any required fields: if it asks you where the patient was discharged to, say “home”, then hit “OK”.
- If you’re still having problems, or if it’s been >7 days, call Cerner support: 212-241-7077 (M-F, 9-5) or 212-241-HELP (after hours).
- Someone at the Cerner Support Desk will either get your phone number and call you back or deal with your issue right away.
- Tell them the patient's MRN, and what the name should be spelled as, and they should take care of it.