1) Triage all patient-related issues as they arise
- EHHOphtho CMs will handle issues such as scheduling appointments; however your input may be required in assessing how “urgently” a patient needs to be scheduled.
- You will be the first person of contact for any Ophtho-related issues that arise in medical clinic or during the week
- If you decide that a patient should be prioritized to be seen at the next available EHHOphtho clinic, be sure to relay this information to the CMs
- for EMERGENT issues (ie — severe trauma to the eye, signs of acute angle closure) that come up over the phone, the patient should be instructed to go to the ER.
- generally, such calls will be referred to the Head TS for medical clinic but in the case that it comes to you, refer to ER.
- In all such cases, let Dr. Meah or Dr. Thomas know immediately.
- You MUST check your MSSM email at least daily if “on-call” — all issues relating to Ophtho referrals, patients, or questions about deciphering Ophthalmology notes will be sent to you and should be addressed promptly
2) For any patient related encounter, where you personally speak to a patient, you MUST log the details in EPIC as a telephone encounter:
- Go to EPIC drop down tab on the upper left hand corner of the screen
- Select “Patient Care” –> Telephone Encounter
- Enter Patient’s Name or MRN and hit “Accept”
- If there is an order that needs to be signed by Drs. Meah or Thomas, please carefully check out protocol for Rx refills and lab orders.
- Co-sign the Telephone Encounter to Ophtho attending or Dr. Meah
3) For any patient related encounter where the CMs have already started a Telephone Encounter, please ADDEND all encounters with your updates after speaking to the patient:
- Go to the EPIC drop down tab on the upper left hand corner of the screen
- Select “Patient Care” –> Addendum
- Enter the Patient’s Name or MRN and “Accept”
- Route the note to Ophtho attending or Dr. Meah, chief TS, and any other relevant people