- Before performing an EKG, have the in-clinic attending place an order for "Electrocardiogram, Complete" on the office visit encounter.
- Once this is signed, use one of the IMA EKG machines and select the "Patient" option. Enter the patient's name, MRN, DOB, gender, and age as recorded in their Epic chart. Enter your initials under "Technician".
- After the leads are attached and the on-screen EKG is satisfactory, press the EKG button. A paper copy will print out and the screen will show a message that says "transmitting data".
- Check the patient's Epic chart under the Procedures tab. Ensure that the current EKG has uploaded and that you can view it by clicking the hyperlink that says "Show results for EKG."
- You can shred the paper copy that printed out of the machine.
Note: if you press the EKG button multiple times (e.g. if you're unhappy with the data quality, or if the automated interpretation seems incorrect to you), be aware that you'll create multiple entries in the chart and all the EKGs will be viewable. It's best to wait and watch the screen until the data looks clean, then only press EKG once; the automated interpretation will be corrected when someone reviews it within a few days.
**If EKG does NOT UPLOAD to chart, take a photo of the paper EKG and upload to media tab
**Extra EKG Stickers can be found in clinic: first door on the left when you walk into clinic, look in the cabinets for a box of stickers.
Forget your lead placement? Take a peek at the image below, or use the guide on the machine's lead box. It can help to remember "white on right, smoke (black) over fire (red)."
Questions? Talk the Labs TS, the Head TS, or the Operations Chair (Ted Pak).